Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Humility







Humility is the fear of the Lord; its wages are riches and honor and life. Proverbs 22:4

The biblical definition of humility is quite different from the one accepted by society at large which is feeling that you are less important than other people. This verse reminds me that humility is all about my relationship with God.  It is remembering that he is my creator, my saviour, my Lord. As far as other people are concerned, I am their equal. They may be more talented or richer or prettier, but they are still God’s creation like me. In the most fundamental sense, all people stand level, but we are certainly not equal to God. Accepting my true position as God’s creation and now, as a Christian, his child is what my humility is all about.

The riches that I receive from this humility are the blessings of being in close relationship with God.  The honour I have is the honour of being part of God’s family.  The life I have is eternal life with God, my saviour.  That life has already begun and  will be even more wonderful when I meet him face to face. My humility is not modesty or feeling inferior; my humility is a celebration of my wonderful position in the loving arms of my sovereign Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment