Wednesday, April 19, 2017

A Shepherd's Care




The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures,
 he leads me beside quiet waters,
 he restores my soul.   Psalm 23:2-3  NIV

I have heard this psalm so many times but it still reaches deep into my heart. What a picture of care
in every way.  With God as my shepherd, all my needs will be met.  I will have physical and spiritual nourishment; I will have  his living water that is easy to access in a peaceful way.  He promises to restore my soul.

The image of Jesus as the Good Shepherd has always been very meaningful to me.  The pastoral symbols are precious.  Perhaps for urbanites, it is hard to relate to shepherds and sheep but for me this metaphor is really powerful.  It reminds me of my vulnerability but also of his protection.

What a treasure to have such a beautiful psalm to remind us of God’s love for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment